sunnuntai 3. huhtikuuta 2011

Gear, gear, gear.

After the planning stage was done, and the hardscape was set, it was time to install all the gear needed to run the tank. For filtration, I had the built-in Juwel Bio Filter in the right corner. A typical glass rod -type heater was also placed inside the filter case. I also installed a Fluval U4 internal filter, which had served me well in my previous tank, to left hand corner. The U4 had been running in a small temporary tank, so it had some bacterial content. Ideally, an external canister filter would be a better fit, as it would save some space inside the tank, but for now, the U4 was an obvious choice, especially with (hopefully) all the bacteria which would help kickstart the tank.

I also installed the CO2 equipment, and the canister fit really nicely inside the cabinet. I secured it with a nylon strap, and attached the solenoid to the cabinet wall. A simple timer was set to open the valve an hour before the lights turn on, and shut it an hour before lights go out. As for the in-tank reactor, I knew I had a Tunze CO2 diffuser somewhere around the house, but as it wasn't used after I packed it when we moved I had no idea where it was! I made a temporary solution from the powerhead of a small cheap filter. I also placed an order for a new Tunze diffuser online, as all the trails ran cold on the whereabouts of my previous one. CO2 plays a rather important part in a planted tank, so I'll dig a bit deeper on the subject later on.

As for the lighting, like I previously mentioned, the tank came equipped with a lighting hood which houses two 45W T5 tubes. This gives me 0.5W per liter, which should be adequate for a plethora of plants. Normal 850mm tubes are 39W, so with the Juwel 895mm ones you get a bit more punch for almost the same lenght, but at the same time, the choice of tubes is a bit more limited. Both tubes are labeled "Day", and sport a 9000K color temperature. I might replace the older one with a tube with a bit more color, as the tank seems a bit sterile with this combination. Juwel offers 45W tubes in temperatures of 4100K and 6800K, so I might try one of those.

As the amount of light drives the rate of growth, it's important for the lighting to be balanced to all the other factors related to plant growth. More light does not equal better growth! It just accelerates the uptake of nutrients, and can lead to all sorts of problems. Also, I'm aiming for a tank that doesn't require trimming the plants every few days, or a ton of fertilizers, so a moderate lighting is fine by me! That said, I might pony up for some reflectors later on, if it starts to look like the plants could use a bit of a boost. The lights are also timed, and I'll start slowly with 6h of lighting per day at first, and then boost up the time as the tank matures.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti